Weekend surprises

Monday, March 23, 2009


New plants
Originally uploaded by sassycrafter
I bought these plants this weekend at the Kanapaha Garden Festival. Both should be evergreen here in North Florida and will provide the bones that keep the front bed interesting through all four seasons.

I was told that the purplish-grey ones are Dyckia 'Silver Dragon' and the yellowish-green ones are Yucca aloifolia 'Variegata'.

I thought that the yuccas would only get 3-4' tall, or at least that's what the gal who sold them to me said. I looked them up once I got home and realized that I'm in for more than I bargained for. These are supposed to reach up to 7' tall! Gulp.

Looks like I should reevaluate where I was planning to put them. Maybe I'll put just one in front and save the other two for the back yard. Of course, I could put all three in the front bed and just create a fortress look!

I also need to double-check the identification on the bromeliad. I looked in the Bromeliad Society International online cultivar database and couldn't find mention of 'Silver Dragon'.

Either way, I do love this brom. It has fabulous purple foliage covered with silvery scales, which makes it so interesting to look at. And isn't that orange flower spike luscious, especially in contrast with the purple? Oh yes, mine will be a colorful garden.

And funky, too. Check out the bench I also bought at the show. I'm calling it a funkified Adirondack chair.

New garden bench

I wasn't planning on buying a bench until later in the design process. In fact, I had dedicated all of my current budget to getting unique plants. But hey, sometimes life throws you unexpected surprises that are too perfect to pass up.

Heck, it even has built-in ledges for me to rest a beer on as I sit in the garden on warm summer evenings. The only thing missing is a built-in fan to keep me cool and push the mosquitoes away.

I may add a coat of colorful paint down the road, but that depends on how much color I get from the plant palette. A plain white bench might allow the plants to shine even brighter.

3 comments:

Wicked Gardener said...

Darn! I wish I could have gone to that!! Looks like you got some cool stuff. BTW- I have shopped benches before. When you find the perfectly deconstructed, beer-ledges included, not-your-grandma's-bench bench, you HAVE to get it. No matter what.

Kim Taylor Kruse said...

Thanks for seconding my logic on blowing my budget and buying the bench! If you're ever in Gainesville, you'll have to stop by and help me try out the beer ledges. Then we can sit and stare at my otherwise empty garden since I ran out of money for plants. ;-)

Wicked Gardener said...

Sounds like a deal!