Io moth caterpillars

Thursday, August 7, 2008


Io moth caterpillars
Originally uploaded by sassycrafter
While walking in from lunch yesterday, I noticed that the 'Forest Pansy' redbud at our office had some serious munch marks. I flipped over the leaves and, lo and behold, there were several io moth caterpillars hiding out.

I just love the color of these caterpillars--almost an electric lemon-lime color--so I like to get close and really admire them. But it's best not to touch--they have stinging spines on their bodies (see the tufts?), so it's a good idea not to touch them.

Caterpillars typically go through several stages before pupating and turning into moths or butterflies. These caterpillars are probably first instars, based on their markings. In time, they'll develop into io moths.

2 comments:

Jeanie Henderson said...

Hello Kim,
I was given a beautiful plant called a Money Tree 1 1/2 years ago. It's dying on me and I've found no info on the web as to its needs. The leaves have been slowly browning at the tips and are now dying. The "Tree" has a thick, sturdy base and at the top are the long beautiful branches that have been growing up until the past month. Now they're all dying. I keep it indoors not wanting bugs to infect it and have been giving it minimal water but on a bi weekly basis, sometimes setting it out as I am today in the rain. Do you have any info on this beauitful and symbolic (for me)plant? Jeanie in Fort Lauderdale

Kim Taylor Kruse said...

Hi Jeanie! Thanks for commenting. Your best bet is to talk to your County Extension Office. You can find your local office through this site: http://solutionsforyourlife.com/map Good luck!