Soil testing

Monday, October 29, 2007


In the interest of following through with what most Extension folks recommend, I'm finally getting my soil tested. Here is what the sample looked like before I bagged it up and dropped it off at the soils lab. The idea is that you take several samples from around the yard, mix them up in a bucket, and then spread out a few cups worth on newspaper or a brown shopping bag to dry. Then you package the soil and drop it off at the soil lab. You can either select to learn the pH and lime requirement, or you can go whole-hog and get the soil fertility tested. The latter test provides pH and lime requirements and also reveals the presence or absence of other nutrients--phosphorous, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. I should get my results back within two weeks.

For more information about soil testing in Florida, visit the Soils Lab Web site or contact your county Extension office.

Sorry about the funny color in the photo. My personal camera has been acting up recently.

No comments: