Safe garden voyeurism

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Gardeners like to enjoy their own gardens, but they also love a chance to peek at what their neighbors are doing. Occasionally, this lands a gardener in a sticky situation. At the recent Garden Writers Association conference, I learned of a safe way to get glimpse what's blooming in other garden bloggers' yards through Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day (thanks, Dee).


Initiated by May Dreams Gardens, countless bloggers now participate in Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. They simply create a post on their blog to showcase what's blooming in their gardens and then post in the comment box of the GBBD post at May Dreams Gardens. No rules. No requirements. Just good garden fun.

So here's my first go, albeit a day late.

I'm happy to announce that the crinum in the backyard is blooming. You may remember that this is the one that was affected by spider mites. You can still see a bit of the damaged foliage in the picture. The mites have reappeared, but I treated promptly so all seems fine.

Crinum procerum var. splendens 'Queen Emma'

Crinum in bloom

The Camellia sasanqua by my carport also popped open its first two blooms of the season. It always surprises me. Most of the year it's a stately evergreen shrub and them boom! Once fall arrives it's covered in pink blossoms.

Camellia sasanqua (unknown variety)

Camellia sasanqua

The Phillippine violet is also in bloom. This one was given to me by Dr. Bob, one of the other Master Gardeners who trained with me last fall. Thanks, Bob! It really is a great plant.


Phillipine violet (Barleria cristata)

The clerodendrum at the front of the carport has been blooming all summer and continues to do so. Here's an interesting point about this plant. I had heard that it could be overly aggressive, though I'd never had any problems with it. No problems, that is, until I dug around in that bed to remove the invasive sword fern that was growing there and to add a few crinum bulbs I bought at Home Depot. Now the clerodendrum is putting up shoots as if its life depended on it!

Clerodendrum thomsoniae

Glory bower (Clerodendrum thomsoniae)

And finally, the pinecone ginger flower stalks have turned a fabulous red. I cut a few of them so that I could enjoy them in the house.


Pinecone ginger (Zingiber zerumbet)

2 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Welcome to Bloom Day! I am pleased and happy you've decided to join us from your Florida garden. That Dee is quite the evangelist for bloom day and blogging.

We northern gardeners are going to need gardeners like you to post your blooms through the dark, cold winter months, to remind us that flowers are blooming somewhere! You've got a lot of blooms that I've never heard of, very pretty.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Anonymous said...

So glad you joined Bloom Day this month. I'm also glad we met @ the GWA. Not much is blooming my garden now because of two nights @ 27 degrees. I have freeze dried roses.~~Dee