Florida-style winter wonderland

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Last night it was supposed to drop into the 20s for anywhere between eight and twelve hours. Needless to say, I didn't bother to cover my plants. If you've been reading this blog you know I ascribe to the "tough love" gardening philosophy. Plus I'd gotten a bit complacent -- the previous freezes that were forecast hadn't hurt anything in the yard. Not so this time. Here's the body count:

Crinum in front yard

Freeze-damaged crinum

Backyard bed

Freeze-damaged plants

This hibiscus doesn't look too bad in the photo, but it has that distinct droopy look in person. It was definitely zapped.

Freeze-damaged hibiscus

I meant to pull in my white bird of paradise but forgot. Thankfully it looks unharmed.

Unharmed bird

And finally, here are some shots of the orchard that I drive by every day on my way to the office. Isn't it magical? This is the first time I've seen them ice it down. I guess they were worried about the blooms and new growth that had started to appear on the peach and plum trees. The icicles remind me of a winter wonderland! (Click on the photos to see them bigger.)

Icy orchard on UF campus

Icy orchard on UF campus

Icy orchard on UF campus

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I'm not too far from you, but I must say I have been covering plants on and off, each time I cover a little less. This cold snap we are having has def. taken out some plants. No worries they will be back.

Unknown said...

Hello Kim,

I like your blog and added you in my garden blog resources http://www.muriellesgarden.com/resources. Can you also add me in your gardening blogs? I will appreciate it.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Muriella
http://www.muriellesgarden.com

Susan said...

Brrrrr, just looking at all that ice gives me the shivers. Our crinum lily and many other tropicals are looking very sad these days.